- COVID-19 Information & Best Practices – Our staff has curated information to help you navigate day-to-day life during COVID-19.
- COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols document – We invite you to view our COVID-19 Health & Safety Protocols document to see how we’re maintaining safe practices as we welcome our members back to our Clubs.
- Talking to youth about Coronavirus | Hablarle a sus hijos sobre el COVID-19 – This guide helps parents and guardians navigate the difficult topic of discussing COVID-19 with children.
- Qualifying Boys & Girls Clubs of Greater Milwaukee Members Can Access Free Or Discounted Internet – With more people working and studying from home during the COVID-19 outbreak, Boys & Girls Clubs of America is partnering with Comcast to help connect Milwaukee’s youth with free internet access. Qualifying households will receive 2 (two) free months of Comcast’s Internet Essentials WiFi service, which is normally available to all qualified low-income households for $9.95/month plus tax. To find out if your household qualifies, go to www.internetessentials.com/covid19 to apply before June 30, 2020.
Families can cancel service after two months with no obligation. Families can also purchase a computer from Comcast for $149. For more information, go to www.internetessentials.com/covid19 or call 1-855-846-8376.
Additionally, Spectrum is offering discounted internet service to qualifying families, including a free internet modem and optional in-home Wi-Fi service for $5/month plus tax. The offer is not valid for current Spectrum subscribers. For more information and to see if you qualify, go to https://www.spectrum.com/browse/content/spectrum-internet-assist
Note: BGCGM is not recommending or endorsing these efforts, this information is simply being shared as a potential resource.
- Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program – Does your family need help paying your energy bill during this challenging time? The Wisconsin Home Energy Assistance Program assists Milwaukee County residents by providing a one-time annual payment* to make your heating and electric bills more affordable. Click here to see if you qualify.
- Milwaukee PBS At-Home Learning Schedule – Many homes in southeastern Wisconsin do not have internet access, so in order to support at-home learning for all students, Ch. 36.1 is broadcasting At-Home Learning Content from 7AM until 5PM each day Monday through Friday. The schedule supports learning for your pre-school age children through high school.
- ST Math No-Cost Access to BGCGM Families
Many of your children are already familiar with Jiji the penguin because of their online learning at the Clubs through ST Math. Now you can ensure that your Kindergarten through 8th grade kids are still challenging their minds with challenging math problems during the Coronavirus crisis at no cost to your family through June 30.
Access to the award-winning, patented ST Math approach for your use at home will be FREE through June 30, 2020. At the end of that period, you can choose whether or not you’d like to purchase a subscription to ST Math – but they will NOT collect your payment information or autobill you.
If your child already has ST Math through their school, they should log in to their current account instead of creating a homeschool account.
To get your child started on their at-home learning of math, go to https://www.stmath.com/coronavirus and click on FAMILIES.
1. Go to: https://www.stmath.com/coronavirus
2. Click on the FAMILY ACCESS tab.
3. Click on CREATE ACCOUNT tab.
4. Fill in the ABOUT YOU form and click on NEXT.
5. Complete your location information. No Group Code is necessary. Click on NEXT.
6. Choose PARENT – One group of students and click on CREATE ACCOUNT
7. Check your email for your user name and a temporary password. Emails can sometimes take up to 24 hours to be received.
8. Follow the directions in the email and begin your child’s ST Math learning!
- Acceso libre de costo para familias de BGCGM para el programa de matemáticas de “ST Math”
Muchos de sus hijos ya están familiarizados con Jiji el pingüino debido a su aprendizaje en línea en los Clubes a través de “ST Math”. Ahora usted puede asegurarse de que sus hijos desde kinder hasta los niños de 8vo grado que todavía están desafiando sus mentes con problemas matemáticos durante la crisis del Coronavirus puedan practicar sin costo para su familia hasta el 30 de junio.
El acceso al galardonado enfoque patentado de “ST Math” para su uso en casa será GRATUITO hasta el 30 de junio de 2020. Al final de ese período, puedes elegir si quieres o no comprar una suscripción a ST Math, pero NO te pedirán tu información de pago ni te facturarán automáticamente.
Si su hijo ya tiene ST Math a través de su escuela, debe iniciar la sesión en su cuenta actual en lugar de crear una cuenta de escuela en casa.
Para que su hijo comience a aprender matemáticas en el hogar, vaya a la página web: https://www.stmath.com/coronavirus y haga clic en FAMILIAS.
1. Vaya a la página de: https://www.stmath.com/coronavirus
2. Haga clic en la parte de ACCESO A LA FAMILIA.
3. Clic en CREAR UNA CUENTA
4. Llene el formulario ACERCA DE USTED y haga clic en SIGUIENTE.
5. Complete su información de ubicación. No es necesario ningún código de grupo. Haga clic en SIGUIENTE
6. Elija PADRE – Un grupo de estudiantes y haga clic en CREAR CUENTA
7. Revise su correo electrónico para su nombre de usuario y una contraseña temporal. Los correos electrónicos a veces pueden tardar hasta 24 horas en recibirse.
8. ¡Siga las instrucciones en el correo electrónico y comience el aprendizaje de Matemáticas ST de su hijo!
- MyFuture – MyFuture is a web platform that enables kids to engage with program content, learn new skills, earn recognition and share media with peers. Programs include: Computer Science, Digital Literacy, Leadership, Lyricism 101, Media Making, Positive Club Climate, SMART Girls, Ultimate Journey, Visual Arts, and Healthy Habits.
- Milwaukee Public Library – Milwaukee Public Library offers online tutoring seven days a week through the Brainfuse database. The service offers “one-to-one homework help, state-aligned skills building, test preparation, and writing assistance for students of all ages, from elementary school to college studies.
- Scholastic Learn at Home – Even when schools are closed, you can keep the learning going with these special cross-curricular journeys. Every day includes four separate learning experiences, each built around a thrilling, meaningful story or video. Kids can do them on their own or with their families. Just find your grade level and let the learning begin!
- Storyline Online – A great collection of stories being read aloud by famous actors and actresses. What a way to get kid’s attention!
- Story Time From Space – This website has amazing books being read aloud from space by astronauts!!! How cool is that?
- Education.com – This website has a packet for kids in Kindergarten-5th grade that can be downloaded and printed. It has five days of activities.
- Curriculum Associates – This website offers free packets for math and literacy for grades K-8. Each packet has enough content to last approximately one month.
- Lakeshore – This education-based company is offering over 1,000 free resources for families including writing prompts, flash cards, and craft activities.
- Reading Rockets – This website offers free educational resources including themed adventure packs for families.
- Ivy League Courses – This website is a compilation of free online learning for our older kids or adults.
Additional Family Resources
- Tap Dance Instruction – Take an online tap dance class and learn the basics from a pro!
A Note From the Pro: I’ve been a dancer basically my whole life, and I’ve been teaching dance for just about half my life now. I am a member of JorsTAP Chicago, the only current all female tap dance company in the Windy City. So, I’m super excited to give you guys a little twist and a different style of dance – Tap! But, I’m a huge fan of fusing dance styles together – learn a bit about this style (or explore it a bit more if you’ve already trained in it) and then throw in whatever other styles into the mix to make it your own! YOU DON’T NEED TAP SHOES! Socks in the kitchen, Nikes on the driveway, all are perfect!
Here’s the assignment – If you’ve never tap danced before, watch the first video. If you’ve got a bit of training, you can skip it if you want to.
Then, you have two options:
1) make up your own rhythm or combo using some of the basics in the first video, or if you’ve got any other tap moves in your bag, throw them in!
2) learn the combo from Video 2 and Video 3. There’s a more basic song choice, or there’s a trickier song choice with faster tempo and more intricate rhythm.
- Learn How to Play Chess – Our friends at First Move Chess are offering the online portion of their curriculum for free until August 1st, 2020. The program was designed for 2-4 graders, but can be used with older kids, or younger kids if an adult is available to assist with reading.
Each lesson takes about 20-30 minutes. Lessons 1-10 cover the basics of chess and target thinking skills like visualization, pattern recognition, thinking ahead, and analyzing. Lessons 11-20 cover some chess tactics and special moves along with more thinking skills like logical reasoning, problem solving and decision making.
To access First Move:
1) Go to www.firstmovechess.org
2) Click LOG IN in the upper corner
3) Click REGISTER now (under the SIGN IN button)
4) Fill in the boxes
5) The School/Site Name: HOME- BOYS & GIRLS CLUBS
6) The District/Program Name: FIRST MOVE CHESS
7) The ACCESS CODE is: QRDCEKFX
8) Click REGISTER, you are signed up and ready to learn!